An Israeli consulate was first opened in Lisbon in the late 1950's. After the Carnation Revolution in Portugal in April 1974, this was upgraded to a general consulate and in 1977 to an embassy, the highest indication of full diplomatic relations. Since then the two countries have benefitted from friendly and collaborative relations in many fields.
During WWII, many Jews passed through Portugal, mostly immigrating to other countries and later also to Israel.
Issue: April 2017
Other Philatelic products issued in April 2017